Early on in my practice, kutki was the most important herb in my Ayurvedic pharmacy.
The many studies on kutki’s effectiveness drew worldwide attention which resulted in severe overharvesting and overexploitation, threatening it into near extinction.
When it was classified as endangered by the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species (CITES) in 1997, I stopped using it.
Sadly, since 1997, it has been sold illegally in the states and around the world without CITES certification—driving this precious herb even closer to extinction. This is why it is crucial to buy kutki through a trusted, CITES certified source.
LifeSpa, in coordination with The Dunagiri Foundation, is taking action to return kutki legally, ethically, and sustainably back into the market through the RARE project: Reviving Ayurveda’s Rare Ecology.
Sourcing CITES-certified kutki is critical to the restoration of this powerful Ayurvedic herb.
The RARE project also supports the Gesh villagers and farmers who have taken on this project to grow it for the world in an ethical way.
What Makes Kutki So Special?
Kutki is considered Ayurveda’s premier liver tonic, but its benefits reach far beyond the liver.
- Helps shield the liver from toxins, stress and the environment (1)
- Decongests bile and liver ducts, supporting healthy bile flow (2)
- Encourages liver, gallbladder and intestinal detox (2)
- Supports healthy external skin (3)
- Maintains the integrity of the intestinal and respiratory inner skin (2)
- Maintains healthy lymph and immune function (4,5)